Retail & Sales
Vast opportunities exist for graduates in a variety of roles within retail and sales. Also, graduates of all disciplines can be found across the industry, not just those with a business related qualification. Examples of some of the types of careers available to graduates in retail are:
- Store management
- Area management
- Retail banking
- In support functions such as IT, HR, Finance, Marketing, Logistics, Operations, Property etc
Some of the skills required to have a successful career in retail are:
- Attention to detail - Retail is detail as they say and customers can be swayed one way or another by the smallest of details.
- Organisational/Planning skills - Efficient time management is essential in having a productive day in the retail trade.
- Good communication skills - Effectively engaging with customers can win them over for life.
- Commercial awareness - On the spot decision making is required in what is a constantly changing sales environment.
- Good customer service skills.
Overall, working in retail is very demanding. It requires great flexibility and there is pressure to perform. Maintaining a healthy work-life balance is very important to having a long career in the industry.
Almost all of modern businesses have a sales function and thus require a constant influx of graduates. Examples of some of the sales roles in which graduates may forge a career are:
- Advertising account handler - Working in an advertising agency acting as the link between the client and the agency in coordinating jobs, monitoring the effectiveness of the ad campaign etc.
- Media Sales Representative - Responsible for business development, the sale of advertising space etc.
- General Sales Representative - Based either in the field or in the office, sales representatives are essentially their own bosses.
To have a successful career in such a diverse role as sales graduates would need to be well-rounded as well as have excellent business acumen. Some of the skills required for a sales role are:
- Ability to work to deadlines/under pressure/meet targets
- Good organisational skills
- Good communication skills
- The ability to multi-task
- To be adept numerically
- To have an outgoing personality and a good telephone manner